Friday, May 1, 2020

Meme Girls Review

meme girls
Rating: 3/5

Synopsis: Not much beyond memes being personified as cute anime girls.

My Thoughts: Initially, this webtoon was sandwiched in between chapters of the prolific webtoon author Merryweatherey's other title Internet Explorer (which I did appreciate for its geeky humor geared toward poking fun of various internet browsers) before it expanding into its own separate title. It was perhaps for the better since I honestly found Meme Girls pretty meh when I first read it. While the concept of lampooning internet memes sounds interesting and funny, I am mostly oblivious to the memes being ripped on as someone who doesn't use a lot of social media so much of the humor fell flat. That being said, those Scottish Pokemon Trainer comics did elicit a few laughs out for me due to the character's goofy-sounding accent as she was insulting her opponents. Also, before writing this review, I decided to gander through some of the newer strips and I must say, they were far more entertaining than the previous ones hence my generous three-star rating in lieu of a middling two-star one. I would attribute my increased enjoyment to the recent chapters' variation in subject matter from exclusively taunting memes to joking about other things such as operating systems, phone models, streaming services, etc. To put in other words, it has started to be more like Internet Explorer in that they both incorporate technology-themed humor.

Final Thoughts: While I would not rank it highly in my recommendations, chances are you'll enjoy Meme Girls you like memes along with some light geek comedy.

You can read it here: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember to be respectful of each other's opinions. Any hateful or defamatory comments will be removed.