Friday, May 1, 2020

Guts Review

guts raina telgemeier
Rating: 5/5

 
Synopsis: Raina Telgemeier's newest memoir, Guts, chronicles her struggles living with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) during her elementary/middle school years.



My Thoughts: Much like Raina's previous autobiographical memoirs Smile and Sisters, Guts has the guts to take on serious topics in a way that children and even older readers will find relatable and comforting. All of the emotions surrounding Raina's childhood insecurities and fears were in the right place, and while there was more toilet humor than there would be in a typical Raina Telgemeier book, none of it felt forced and was relevant within the context of the story. Though I never really went through what the author did for any long period of time, her reluctance to admitting her disorder closely reminded of mine to opening up about my autism (which most people have no idea about until I tell them since I behave in most ways like a neurotypical) when I was 16-17 years old out of the fear of not only being alienated but also being patronized and seen differently by my peers which was, in part, due to my mom's tendency to blame most to all of my flaws and quirks on my disorder and use it as an excuse to push her own agenda. In other words, this book was in some ways similar to my own personal journey. As a few other reviewers have mentioned, the book's positive depiction of therapy was also helpful in dispelling certain misconceptions about therapy which many people still believe only mentally ill individuals need. The advice Raina gave at the end of the story to children going through personal issues was sweet and consoling as well.

Final Thoughts: Guts is a memoir I wholeheartedly recommend to fans of the author's previous work, kids who are insecure about their problems, and older people who just want a little spark of reassurance and comfort. I congratulate Ms. Telegemeier for her well-deserved success and wish her well in her future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember to be respectful of each other's opinions. Any hateful or defamatory comments will be removed.